Harman Tech – Stove Noise/Squealing Feed System – Tips & Troubleshooting

Posted on by Earth Sense Energy System
P43 BANNER

Earth Sense has one of the largest NFI technical staffs in the Country! We are happy to provide troubleshooting assistance and we provide full in-home service programs throughout Wisconsin.

Harman Stove Making Noise/Squealing during feed cycle-

Scott Writes In:

We have a Harman P38 pellet stove installed in 2007 – it’s been working great … until last night. I started it up and when the auger kicks in, it has high pitch squeal. Is there anything we can do to stop the noise, or will we have to have a technician come out?

Mr. Pellethead Replies:

Thanks for contacting us. In most cases with this type of noise on a P38 or any Harman Pellet or Corn model it would be one of the following-

1. Excessive fines built up in the feeder body causing the slide plate to rub/have resistance. Feeder body clean-out is behind the auger motor, one or two wing-nuts will be unscrewed to remove the cover. Clean/vacuum area thoroughly, Pull out the slide plate (Make sure all fuel is out of the hopper), Clean and inspect the slide plate. See if there are any gouges, marks or burrs on it. Please note how it comes out so it goes back in the same way. Should be lip up.
  2. If everything appears good in the feeder body then in most cases it would then be the bearing attached to the auger shaft. Under load, that bearing can start making a squeal sound. See if you can pin-point where the noise is coming from with the back-panels off. Stethoscope can help, even a cheap toy one.
  3. Auger motor. Same here, see if you can pin-point where the noise is deriving from. Typical life on an auger motor is 6-9 years/seasons.

If you would rather schedule a tech to come out then to troubleshoot yourself just let me know and I will get you to the right staffing to get that set-up. Otherwise we’re happy to help troubleshoot and I’m confident we can figure out where the issue is coming from and what we need to do to resolve it.

Earth Sense Stocks Every Part For Harman Stoves Guaranteeing the Best Prices and Fastest Shipping!

Contact Us For Assistance

Be Sociable, Share!

14 Responses to Harman Tech – Stove Noise/Squealing Feed System – Tips & Troubleshooting

Timothy Friedberg says: February 28, 2016 at 5:28 pm

I have a Harman pc-45 stove. I just recently changed the blower motor (squealing). When I hooked it back up, it would appear that the blower motor wouldn’t shut off(low/high) and it would engage the auger motor. The problem then is the igniter wouldn’t come on. I changed the circuit board(bought from yins), but still the same problem.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Earth Sense Energy System says: May 25, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Timothy,

I just saw the comment here; apologies we didn’t see it or address you sooner on this. Are you still having the same problem? If you have any questions or need technical assistance just let us know; we’re happy to help. You can email us direct at [email protected]. Thanks again,

Cody says: November 12, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Check your feed rate the stove may not be burning hot enough to prevent buildup around the pellet entry/ end of auger. After professional cleaning I burned 3 or 4 bags and a high pitched squeal begin every time the auger ran. I assumed it was a pellet lodged and ran for 20 minutes hoping it would dislodge. Clearly not the problem. After some searching on threads everyone was pointing at build up. I pump the stove up to max to burn everything clean similar to your oven it should get hot enough to burn anything off. After 20 minutes of my stove running as hot as it could the squealing ceased. When I was turning everything up to attempt this i realized the gentleman that cleaned the stove had the feed set at 2. I suggest running at at least 3 to keep your stove hot enough to prevent buildup. In case your not looking to do that ramp your stove up to wide open once every week or 2 to clean things up. Otherwise u can get in there with a fine wore brush and screwdriver once a month. Your choice. Happy burning hope this helps some people out.

Earth Sense Energy System says: November 12, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for contribution to the blog here Cody; very appreciated. If you ever need anything let us know. We stock and offer every Harman part at the guaranteed lowest price and fastest shipping.

Warmest regards,
    Taylor-ESESstoves

Bill says: May 25, 2016 at 10:57 am

After many attempts to stop the seemingly random squeal I felt hopeless. The sound was causing terrible stress to our house…then I got a tidbit of advice and took it a step further. Here my fiends is how you stop the squeal:

Go buy some dry graphite powder. Run your stove out of pellets. Grab a pint glass or 2 full of pellets and put them in a plastic bag. Add about 2-3 grams of the powder and mix it up until the the pellets are grey. Turn your stove on and dump the graphite coated pellets in the empty hopper. My squeal went away INSTANTLY and has not come back for months. I only used about half the graphite coated pellets. Hope this helps
    Bill Nottingham, NH

Cody says: November 12, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Idk if you guys are experiencing the squealing even after cleaning or not. I was under the impression I had a pellet caught in the auger but I’ve done some reading on other threads. I have noticed a lot have said it’s carbon or creosote build up at the end of the auger/ pellet entry to burn pot. I tried to clean things out well with my scraper and a screwdriver but the squealing persisted even after rigorous cleaning. I had only went through 3 bags since professional cleaning. When cleaner started stove he had set feed to about 2.5. Assumed the lower feed left the burn temp a little lower allowing build up. If u can handle the heat crank your pellet stove wide open for roughly half an hour. Should get hot enough to burn everything off. I tried this as last ditch effort to avoid taking my stove apart. 15-20 minutes and mine is squeak free. Hope this helps anyonr having squeaking migraines. Happy burning!

Mike says: December 12, 2016 at 11:39 pm

I read a lot of blogs & videos about how often people clean there stoves. I am shocked at what i see & read 1 to 2 times a year! I have had trouble free and very efficient hot burning stove since my purchase from oct 2014 . I clean my stove during winter every 7 days thoroughly way beyond what is recommended in the manual because i find it a eaiser & faster clean this way because of less build up and trouble free operation with no excessive wear on components.

Earth Sense Energy System says: December 13, 2016 at 11:37 am

Hey Mike!

Thanks for the comment. You are 100% right. The more often it’s cleaned the less time it takes, the more efficient it runs, and the less probability of issues arising. 95% of all of our service and maintenance calls are related to cleaning issues. It’s great to have a set schedule in place like you do – everyone should take note of this. We appreciate your contribution and if there is anything we can do for you please let us know.

Thanks again,
    Taylor-ESESstoves

Mike Bacigalupo says: January 24, 2017 at 3:25 pm

My squeal seems to come when the distribution comes on and stops when it turns off. I was able to minimize the squeal by running it on low. I’ve placed the feed rate on 4 that helped a little. I’ve seen internet places suggesting putting 3 and 1 oil into the (so called) oil ports. It is a P61A. Suggestions?

Earth Sense Energy System says: January 24, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Mike,

Thanks for contacting us, happy to assist. If you have narrowed it down to be coming from the distribution fan, then the noise is more than likely associated with the motor there itself. The original motor is a sealed bearing fan – there are no ports to accept oil into the motor. We do now offer a replacement motor where you utilize the existing fan housing and squirrel cage. Here is a link to that. Any other questions please let us know. Thanks, Taylor-ESESstoves

Mike Bacigalupo says: January 25, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Thanks for the quick turnaround. It is the motor, I’ve been a technicians my adult life and I have heard many bearing issues and this was my first thought of the noise.

Ben says: March 22, 2017 at 9:39 am

The auger on my p43 stove is not turning and letting the pellets fall down is there a way to get it to clean out anything that might be restricted it

Earth Sense Energy System says: March 22, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Ben,

Thanks for contacting us, happy to assist. If your auger motor is jammed and you can feel it trying to turn you will want to do the following steps. If it feels like no power is going to the auger motor it could be a vacuum switch error or a faulty motor. Is your status light blinking?

Clearing a Jam:
    – Vacuum all pellets out of the hopper
    – Open up the sawdust cleanout cover and remove the slide plate. Vacuum area thoroughly.

If it’s still restricted you can remove the auger motor, unbolt the auger shaft bracket, and completely pull out the auger shaft. A Channel Lock Pliers will be a helpful tool to wiggle the auger shaft so you can pull it out. Inspect and vacuum the throat where the auger shaft seats in.

Happy to help. You can reach us direct at [email protected] or toll free at 800-236-6647.

Thanks again,