St Croix Control Board Functions, Operation and Diagnostic Error Codes

Posted on by Earth Sense Energy System

Over the years St Croix has had a number of different control boards. From the original rotary knob and rocker switch boards, to their digital LED touch pad control boards. St Croix’s latest digital control board replaces all previous digital control boards for their pellet and multi-fuel freestanding and insert stoves (The Revolution and SCF-050 Furnace models will have a different control board).

If you need to purchase a new St Croix Digital Control Board Please Click Here.

Our first video here is designed to provide an overview on the features and functions of the digital control board.

Our second video below will provide an overview of the diagnostic error codes built in to the new digital control board.

16 Responses to St Croix Control Board Functions, Operation and Diagnostic Error Codes

Jamie Rademacher says: February 20, 2019 at 8:29 pm

So we plugged in the old control board again and the fan works just fine for the room fan part that pushes the heat. But with the new control board it wont kick on at all. Faulty new part possible?

Earth Sense Energy System says: February 21, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Thanks for contacting us Jamie, we saw both of your messages. Happy to help and get to the root of the issue here. What was the reason you purchased and exchanged out the control board? What was going on with the stove? There’s a possibility that there is an issue with the board, although rare it can happen, however we want to take a look at other potential issues that may be causing the problem here before determining that this is an issue with the new control board.

Happy to help.
ESESstoves

Mike Kalvin says: November 1, 2019 at 1:03 pm

When will I get the diagnostic codes? What if I miss what was blinking? We are getting a lot of pellets in the fire pot and a very large fire producing very high heat. I would think the high limit switch would cause the auger to stop, but this is not happening. Ideas that I can use to diagnosis this better?

Earth Sense Energy System says: November 1, 2019 at 7:34 pm

Mike,

Thanks for contacting us.
1. Diagnostic codes will come up when something is in fault or has tripped
2. When a diagnostic code comes into play, the unit will shut down and the control board will blink until the issue has been taken care of

What does your fire look like? Is it crisp and torchy or is it slightly lazy? The flame should always be crisp and torchy at any heat setting. If it is starting to get big and lazy, it would indicate a combustion air issue.
– #1 Cause would be cleaning – Ash build up in the stove, rear firewall, ash traps, exhaust manifold, venting.
– Next We like to check the gasket seals on the door and ash pan door
– Then take a closer look at the burnpot. Ensure all holes are uplugged and it’s seated properly
– Next look at the air inlet. Shine a light through to make sure nothing foreign got in there. For most St Croix installations the inlet damper should only be open the width of a pencil for proper draft.
– Lastly we would check the combustion fan with a multi-meter to check the voltage during startup and on the various heat cycles after startup.

Check the simple things first. Happy to assist if you have further questions.

Appreciated,
Mr. Pellethead

Mike Kalvin says: November 2, 2019 at 1:32 pm

The flame is big and lazy, with black tips. We purchased this in Oct 2018 – it was a floor demo model from ESES and was certified/inspected beforehand. We have had blacked but not burned pellets in our ash tray – never had this before. I have cleaned the burn pot, unplugging holes and making sure it is seated properly.
I will do bullet points #1, #3 and #4 today. The auger seems to be continually turning and filling pellets in the burn pot. I’ll report back what I have found from the above.

Earth Sense Energy System says: November 2, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Thanks Mike. Yes, definitely sounds like we have a combustion air issue or combustion air leakage issue here. In most cases when we see this it does appear the auger is overfeeding, however that is very rare, 99% of the time it is a combustion air problem. Let us know what you find, we’ll make sure we get you back up and running 100%.

Thanks,
Mr. Pellethead

Mike Kalvin says: November 3, 2019 at 8:35 pm

I completed #1 as best I could with out a ash vacuum, used the 4″ flue cleaning brush on the outside. #2 I checked the seals putting a paper sheet in an trying to pull – all checked fine. #3 I removed all the metal on the fire chamber and cleaned it out, I cleaned out the burn pot thoroughly and made sure all holes were opened. #4 I checked the air inlet, no foreign objects observed. There was an abnormal amount of pellets and blackened pellets in the ash tray.. I also note we did have it thoroughly cleaned in Jan ’19 when we had a service call where the high limit switch was replaced).

The last item was the voltage on the combustion fan. I have no tools or experience on how to do this.

I did fire it up again and it appeared to make no difference. Slow lazy flame, normally I not it would smoke initially, then once a fire is started I would notice little if any smoke, this time I did notice smoke for several minutes that never really subsided before I turned it off to start shut down.

I would agree that it is a combustion issue – fan likely (no seal leakage was found)

Unless you have other suggestions, might be a service call.

Earth Sense Energy System says: November 4, 2019 at 11:04 am

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the detailed message. Appreciate you going through and checking all of those areas. Yes, I would lean towards it being a combustion fan issue or some ash blockage that we can’t see at this time. Feel free to call in to us direct and we can set up a service call. 800 236 6647.

Thanks,
Mr. Pellethead

Darrell Chandler says: November 8, 2019 at 1:07 am

Have a st Croix exp 2004 model I purchased used I cleaned up everything with air compressor looks great, I updated the circuit board cause jumpers weren’t working. Got new board set it on # 3 setting in manual mode on/off button is on and solid, auger feeds great flame heats house great. I have my stove hooked up to a thermostat doesn’t matter where it’s at stove runs but on/off button flashing. T stat is what I want it to run on cause in Wyoming it’s cold especially with wind I don’t want it running constantly and don’t want to manually turn stove on or off I want even heat through house. When I try to run in t stat mode it runs 5-10 minutes I hear a slight clunk sound board completely shuts off. In smart stat it does run for an hour but still on/off flashes after 1 hour board completely shuts off but no clunk sound before it happens. Start up cool down all runs great fans are working properly and how it should. I bought a Honeywell brand mechanical thermostat do I have to purchase yours for proper function or could it be pof switch or vacume switch. I haven’t tore into convection fan to see if that area is totally clean but I blew out a lot of creasote.

Earth Sense Energy System says: November 8, 2019 at 1:54 pm

Darrell,

Thanks for contacting us. Spoke to one of our lead techs. Let us know what you find. Thanks.

1. T-stat or wire connections between t-stat and board could be questionable. Inspect and Double Check.

2. The POF switch could be questionable also could be ash deposits inside the comb housing where the POF sits. Could have been missed with the thorough cleaning. However no #3 flash?

3. Confirm manual t-stat, if the t-stat you have needs batteries it will cause problems.

Thanks,
Mr Pellethead

Darrell Chandler says: November 8, 2019 at 9:49 pm

No # 3 flash and no batteries needed for thermostat I will definitely check connections between board and speaker wire spring loaded wire connections. I have a new pof switch I’ll put that in can’t hurt if it’s not the problem I’ll always have a backup. I’ll let you know my results on Monday thank you so much for the fast feed back much appreciated.

Earth Sense Energy System says: November 11, 2019 at 5:58 pm

Thanks for the message back Darrell. Yes, please keep us posted – we’ll make sure we help you figure out the issue at hand here. If you have another basic magnetic thermostat and thermostat wire around, may be good to try that so we can rule out it being an issue with the thermostat or wires. I don’t see this being a POF switch issue, but like you mentioned it can’t hurt to put that in.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Mr. Pellethead

Linda J Perry says: November 11, 2019 at 10:19 am

We cleaned our stove for this season. Control board would not come on.
We thought it might be the control board so we bought a new one. We can not set it or turn it on. We have a St Croix Auburn.

Earth Sense Energy System says: November 11, 2019 at 11:28 am

Linda,

Thanks for contacting us. Have you verified proper voltage is coming through the wall outlet? You can also use a multi-meter to determine where the power is cutting out. Could be something with the power cord or power terminal area. Check the simple things first. Happy to help.

Thanks,
Mr, Pellethead

Roy Nelsen says: November 11, 2019 at 1:29 pm

Where exactly would I find the reset button for the high limit sensor? I have a 3 year old St Croix Prescott EXL and my dealer is gone for vacation.